Sunday, December 9, 2012

Why I Slightly Hate Christmas Time

Okay, I know this may seem slightly sacrilegious, but I want to be honest.  Christmas time kind of drives me crazy.  Don't get me wrong, the idea behind it and it's intended purpose is awesome.  I mean the savior of the world was born--that's something to celebrate.  And I'm not a horrible person, there are other things about Christmas time that I really do look forward to.

 First of all, this:



Because Christmas caroling and wearing ugly spirited sweaters with my friends is the best.

Also this:

 Because my family is amazing and we have some of the best memories together from the holidays. 

This: 

Because what's Christmas without cute, delicious cookies?

Definitely this:

Because it's always good to give back, and one of the things I love most about the holiday's are the feelings of generosity and kindness that fill the air.  

These are all great things, right?  And while Christmas time is great, the fact that it only happens for one month out of every year really gets me.  I feel like we are living in a culture that manages to only be nice, generous, kind, and happy 1/12 of the time, which leads me to believe the spirit of it all must be fake--like some sort of mandatory social obligation or something.  I mean if only one out of every twelve interactions you had with a person was pleasant, you probably wouldn't like that person a whole lot, would you?  I guess that's kind of like my relationship with Christmas time.

Doesn't it always seem like your problems are less important around this time of year?  It's like our society realizes that--WOAH-- we're actually not the only people here, and we put a valiant effort into helping the less fortunate people all around us.  What bothers me is that these less fortunate people are always all around us.  Each and every day presents an opportunity for us to look around and see suffering, and each day presents an opportunity for us to do something about it.  There is always someone who needs to be shown love.  One of the best parts about Christmas time, at least for me, is hearing the amazing stories about how God is loving the whole world through His people, and how He is impacting lives for His glory.  But I am sick and tired of only having these stories highlighted for one month out of the year.  I wish we lived in a society that paid more attention to these things rather than the things that, ultimately, are pointless.

Now don't get me wrong here, I am absolutely guilty of getting caught up in the Christmas hype, doing nice things, and then completely forgetting about it come January.  I wish I was better about spreading "Christmas cheer" all year long, but I'm just not.  It's something I will always be working on, though. So, what do you guys think?  What are some things you love about Christmas time?  Anything that drives you crazy about it?  What are your ideas to keep the Christmas cheer going even after the holidays have passed?

With love,

Tay

II Timothy 4:7 #love




Oh just one more thing... 




Merry Christmas!!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment